Saturday, April 15, 2017

Tool - "Lateralus" (2001)



Quite possibly the most highly anticipated album of 2001.

At least it was for me - after five agonising years since their last album, 1996's Ænima. The moment this arrived in the mail I locked myself in my room, popped the cd into the computer and cranked that bastard right up. I'd been waiting and aching for it for (what felt like) fucking ages, I had read article after article on how good it was, what it sounded like, etc etc. The tension was unbearable.

I somehow resisted downloading it as I wanted the first listen to be absolutely fresh. And I wasn't disappointed. If it hadn't been for Opeth's Blackwater Park, this would have been the best album of 2001.

As if the music wasn't monumental and fucked up enough, the cover art was the coolest I had ever seen, with a translucent booklet with layer after layer of a human body. Lateralus (which on my copy is mislabelled "Lateralis" - a far superior title in my opinion) quickly became a favorite of mine and I still consider it Tool's best song.

(mp3) Tool - Ticks & leeches

Buy Lateralus @ Amazon.com.

No comments: